Commercial filming and photography
The Bodleian Libraries are a popular location for filming, and welcome commercial film and photographic crews of all sizes to its unique historic locations, which range from medieval and later interiors to breath-taking rooftop views of Oxford.
Please note that the Bodleian is a working library and there are operational constraints relating to the hire of our locations. Generally, all filming and photography needs to work around library opening hours, so film crews are normally only permitted to film before 8.30am and after the libraries close in the evening. For some locations a daytime slot may be available. Please provide as much notice as possible (at least 28 working days). The Bodleian Libraries has no jurisdiction over Radcliffe Square, contact Brasenose College for permission to film there.
The Filming team are experienced in working on both small- and large-scale filming projects, and welcome applications for productions of feature films, television documentaries, videos and commercials.
Press and publicity filming and photography
For filming and photography related to publicity and press, please contact the Bodleian’s Communications team at firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries and bookings, contact the Filming team
+44 (0)1865 287199
Office staffed Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm
The Library and its quadrangles are available for hire for photo shoots, subject to the constraints mentioned above.
Small crews (0–10): from £350 per hour + VAT
Large crews (10+): £750-£1000 per hour + VAT
Please note that these prices vary depending on the crew number, amount of equipment, times booked and other factors.
Productions that have filmed at the Bodleian Libraries include:
- Great British Menu (2020): The University, including the Bodleian, played host to the Banquet episode of the cooking competition.
- The Favourite (2018) Filmed in Divinity School and Convocation House during the summer of 2017.
- Mary Queen of Scots (2018) Filmed scenes in Divinity School and the Old Schools Quad.
- Endeavour (2012–18): Several episodes of the drama starring Shaun Evans featured the Bodleian Libraries.
- A Testament of Youth (2014): An adaptation of Vera Brittain's memoir of the same title.
- X-Men: First Class (2011): This film used one of our quadrangles as a location.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005): Duke Humfrey's Library was used as the Hogwarts library, and the Divinity School as the infirmary.
- The Golden Compass (2007): The Bodleian was used in the first film of Philip Pullman's trilogy 'His Dark Materials', starring Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman.
- Lewis (2006–15): Drama starring Kevin Whately.
- The History Boys (2006): Film adaptation of the Alan Bennett play, starring Richard Griffiths and Francis de la Tour.
- Pocahontas: The New World (2005): Film starring Colin Farrell.
- Inspector Morse (1987–2000): Several episodes of the drama starring John Thaw and Kevin Whately featured the Bodleian Libraries.